Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Media


           I choose Journalism as my major because I love to write, communicate, and hear myself talk (yes, I'll admit it). With that said, Journalism sounds just about perfect for me. Lately though, I've been having second thoughts. It's taken me a while to see past the glamorous haze surrounding the media and everything related to it, but I've really begun seeing the media's pitfalls and negative contributions to society. And let me tell you, they are not minor pitfalls. 

           On one hand, journalism does make very noble contributions: news and awareness... and therefore journalism has great power to make a positive difference in the world. At the same time though, Journalists can (and DO) easily lie, skew the truth, and take down society one naive citizen at a time. People are so easily influenced, it's frightening really.

          I'm not saying that there is no good media out there. I'm just saying that before I graduate college with a Journalism degree, I hope I discover a good way to contribute to the good media, and not to perpetuate all the trash out there.


Just needed to get that off my chest,

Sarah


Ps. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like to read a little trash every now and again. Can you say, "Perezhilton.com"? :)


No comments: